Today, we are continuing our series with cross cultural expert Andy Molinsky. If you remember from last week, Andy’s series is highlighting the cultural codes of 10 countries. The country of choice today is South Korea.
South Korea is highly urbanized at 92%, South Koreans lead a distinctive urban lifestyle; half of them live in high-rises concentrated in the Seoul Capital Area with 25 million residents and the world’s sixth leading global city with the fourth largest economy.
He uses the following six-dimensional framework to capture the differences across cultures.
- Directness: How straightforwardly do people typically communicate in this culture?
- Enthusiasm: How much positive emotion and energy do they typically show?
- Formality: How much deference and respect do people typically demonstrate?
- Assertiveness: How strongly do people typically express voice their opinions?
- Self-Promotion: How acceptable is it for people to speak about their accomplishments?
- Personal Disclosure: How much do people typically reveal about themselves?
Be sure to grab Andy’s free E-book for mastering 10 cultural codes from around the world: http://www.andymolinsky.com/download-cheat-sheet-to-10-cultural-codes-from-around-the-world/
If you missed last week’s episode on China, check it out here. Without further ado, here’s Andy’s episode on Korea.
Check it out here or below